St. Mark's Church / The Reverend Darius Barker


St. Mark's Church photo of St. Mark
St. Mark's parish, organized at the county courthouse on February 22, 1851, is Paw Paw's oldest Episcopal congregation. The Reverend Voltaire Spaulding conducted the first service in a vacant store. The present church cornerstone was laid on the feast of St. Mark. On April 25, 1876, Joseph Davey built the church under the leadership of the Reverend Darius Barker. Bishop George Gillespie consecrated it on December 6, 1876. The bell tower with a bell donated by the Reverend George Scheltky and his family was added in 1882.
 
 
The Reverend Darius Barker
The Reverend Darius Barker was born in 1805 at Unity, New Hampshire. He came to Michigan in 1839, living in Lenawee and Jackson counties. In 1866, Barker became the first resident rector of St. Mark's Episcopal Church. Barker used part of his house, located at the intersection of Oak and Van Buren streets, as a chapel until the present church was built in 1876. Barker extended his pastoral duties to include other Van Buren County communities. He died on May 29, 1892, and was buried in Prospect Cemetery in Paw Paw.

Registered Site L1375
Erected 1987

Location: 609 East Michigan Ave
Paw Paw, Van Buren County

Topics
Episcopal Churches
Prominent People


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.21777 W85.884182
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.