Parmalee United Methodist Church


Parmalee United Methodist Church photo of Parmalee United Methodist Church
In 1878 twelve persons organized the Parmalee Methodist Church. The small congregation met at various locations until 1884, when this church was built on land given to the Methodist Trustee Board by Oliver and Bernice Carpenter. On September 15, 1884, the congregation held its first services in the original portion of this Gothic-style wood-frame building. The following year the Reverend M. D. Marsh became the church's first resident pastor. In 1903, Clara Joels, daughter of the village's founder Erastus K. Parmalee, gave additional property to the church for a horse and buggy shed. In 1913 a basement was built beneath the church. In 1961 the final addition was completed.
 

Registered Site L1367
Erected 1988

Location: Parmalee Road at Stimson
Thornapple Township, Barry County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.7547329 W85.4810571
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.