Congregation Shaarey Zedek


Congregation Shaarey Zedek photo of Congregation Shaarey Zedek
In 1861, at the beginning of the Civil War, seventeen followers of Traditional Judaism withdrew from the Beth El Society in Detroit to found the "Shaarey Zedek Society." In 1877 the membership constructed the first building in Michigan to be erected specifically as a synagogue, at Congress and St. Antoine. In 1913, as the first Conservative Jewish Congregation in the Detroit area, Shaarey Zedek was one of the founding congregations of the United Synagogue of America. Since the nineteenth century, members of the congregation have played leading roles in Michigan, the nation and in world Jewry. Congregation Shaarey Zedek has worshipped in six different structures since its founding and continues to transmit its heritage from generation to generation. The congregation moved to Southfield in 1962.
 

Registered Site L1365
Erected 1987

Location: 27375 Bell Road
Southfield, Oakland County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.490103 W83.270337
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.