Chain Lake Baptist Church and Cemetery


Chain Lake Baptist Church and Cemetery photo of Chain Lake Baptist Church and Cemetery
In the 1830s southern runaway slaves bound for freedom in Canada came into Michigan near Cassopolis. In 1840, Cass County's Quaker community, which provided a haven for the fugitives, became an integral part of the Underground Railroad. Many free African-Americans also settled permanently in Calvin Township. In 1838, Cass County's first African-American church was organized here. In 1853 the Michigan Antislavery Baptist Association, later renamed the Chain Lake Baptist Association, was formed. In 1856, Turner and Irena Byrd donated an acre of land for a cemetery. The monuments record the names of the township's early settlers, including George and Green Allen, and the Anderson, Ash, Artis, Calloway, Evans, Hawks, Sanders, Stewart and Wilson families.
 

Registered Site L1352
Erected 1992

Location: Chain Lake Rd near Calvin Ctr
Calvin Township, Cass County

Topics:
Baptist Churches
Black History
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.8595573 W85.8845043
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.