Henry Ford House


Henry Ford House photo of Henry Ford House
Henry and Clara Ford lived here from 1908 to 1915. The Fords were the first of a community of automobile magnates to reside in the Boston-Edison neighborhood. The Italian Renaissance Revival house, designed by Malcomson, Higginbotham and Clement of Detroit was completed in 1908. The elaborate gardens were designed by T. Glenn Phillips. The Fords built a machine shop above the garage for their son Edsel, who showed a keen interest in automobile design. The seven years in this house were the most creative of Mr. Ford's career. His Model T, mass production methods and wage-price theories which revolutionized American life and industry and reverberated around the world, all commenced while he resided here. In 1915 the Fords moved to Fair Lane, their estate in Dearborn.
 

Registered Site L1323
Erected 1989

Location: 140 Edison Avenue
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3836191 W83.0858606
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.