Fallasburg Pioneer Village

Fallasburg Pioneer Village Fallasburg Pioneer Village
Fallasburg was settled by two brothers from Tompkins County, New York. In 1839, John Wesley Fallas purchased the northwest quarter of section 24 and laid plans for a village. His brother Silas S., also purchased land at that time. Other family members soon followed, making the long journey in covered wagons. John W. built a sawmill on the east bank of the Flat River in 1839. In it he established a chair factory that was a forerunner of the Kent County furniture industry. He soon added a gristmill.
 

Registered Site L1265
Erected 1987

Location: Covered Bridge Road
Vergennes Township, Kent County


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.9835535 W85.3200387
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2012 James Brennan. All rights reserved.