Ionia Church of Christ


Ionia Church of Christ photo of Ionia Church of Christ
In Merritt's Hall on January 24, 1859, the Reverend Isaac Errett and forty-three members signed the original charter of the Ionia Church of Christ (First Christian Church). The first church of this denomination had been founded in nearby Muir in 1856. In 1861 James A. Garfield, later the twentieth President of the United States was a guest speaker at a revival meeting held by the church. The site of the present church was purchased in 1864. The basement was completed in 1867. Services were held there until the church was completed in 1873. Patterned after Romanesque models in the east, the church displays the influence of Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan. The E.H. Stafford Co. of Ionia designed and built the wooden pews. In 1889 the church was enlarged. Its stained glass windows were installed in 1917.
 

Registered Site L1170
Erected 1986

Location: 130 East Washington
Ionia, Ionia County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.983548 W85.06391
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.