The Academy of the Sacred Heart


The Academy of the Sacred Heart photo of The  Academy of the Sacred Heart
Responding to a request from the Antoine Beaubien family, five Religious of the French order of the Sacred Heart came from New York to Detroit in 1851. The religious opened a school on Jefferson Avenue in June of that year with ten day students and three orphans. From 1851 to 1861 the school occupied three different locations on Jefferson Avenue. In 1861 they erected a new school there. It operated for fifty-sevens years. From 1918 to 1958 the school was located on Lawrence Avenue. In addition to there Detroit endeavors, the religious operated a boarding school in Grosse Pointe Farms from 1885 to 1969. In 1958 the Detroit School was moved to Bloomfield Hills. It is the oldest continuing school among the members of the Independent Schools of Michigan.
 

Registered Site L1156
Erected 1984

Location: 1250 Kensington Road
Bloomfield Hills, Oakland County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.578721 W83.226547
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.