Prospect Park


Prospect Park photo of Prospect Park
In 1842 this site became Ypsilanti's second cemetery, and at one time approximately 250 people were buried here. However, when Highland Cemetery opened in 1864, the use of this site began to decline. Inspired by a nation-wide parks movement, in 1891 a group of local women began working to convert the by-then-neglected cemetery into the city's first park. Funds were raised, the remaining bodies were moved, the grounds were graded, trees were planted and walks were installed. Luna Lake, with its rustic fountain, was built. Completed in 1893, Prospect Park soon became noted for its floral carpet beds and its bandstand and dance pavilion. In 1902 a coastal defense canon was purchased from Ft. McCleary, Maine, and erected here. The park became an object of renewed community pride after a major 1982-84 rejuvenation project.
 

Registered Site L1137
Erected 1985

Location: Prospect Avenue and Cross Avenue
Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Parks


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.246219 W83.602526
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.