The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon


The Cappon House photo of The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon
Completed in 1874, this Italianate home was built by John R. Kleyn for Isaac Cappon. Erected in the aftermath of the devastating Holland fire of 1871, the Cappon Houses is one of the finest extant homes in the city. It remained in the Cappon family until the death of Isaac's daughter Lavina in 1978. Its furnishings were willed to the Netherlands Museum, which with the help of the city acquired the property in 1981. Volunteer groups have restored and preserved the elegant home.
 
 
Isaac Cappon
Isaac Cappon (1830 - 1902) emigrated from the Netherlands to the United States in 1847. After a brief stay in Rochester, New York, he came to Michigan's Holland Colony in 1848. Here he worked as a laborer in a local tannery. In 1857 he helped found the Cappon & Bertsch Leather Co., one of Holland's leading nineteenth century industries. When Holland incorporated in 1867, Cappon became its first mayor. He held that office for four subsequent but not successive terms. Cappon was prominent in both church and civic affairs.

Registered Site L1134
Erected 1984

Location: 228 West Ninth Street
Holland, Ottawa County

Topics:
Historic Homes
Prominent People


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.789256 W86.117516
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.