Upton House


Upton House photo of Upton House
Constructed in 1866-67, the William Upton House is one of the oldest surviving nineteenth century brick dwellings in Sterling Heights. Italianate in style, the house features a reconstructed open porch topped by a second story balustrade, a cupola, period chimneys and refurbished window units. According to oral tradition, the interior building materials were imported from England. Most farmsteads of this era were constructed of wood; the brick used on this one demonstrates the affluence of its builder. By 1891 the Upton farm consisted of 138 acres. Upton farmed this land and sold fish from the Clinton River. When the exterior restoration of the house was done in 1981-82, the interior was adapted for use as public offices.
 

Registered Site L1127
Erected 1985

Location: 40433 Utica Rd.
Sterling Heights, Macomb County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.591684 W83.011559
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.