Smyrna


Smyrna photo of Smyrna
In 1843 Calvin Smith became the first white settler in the area. N.G. Chase opened a store here the following year. When Dr. Wilbur Fisher, the area's pioneer physician, began operating a rural post office in 1848, he named the community Smyrna after a Greek city. The village, platted as Mount Vernon was also called Mount Vernon Mills. In the 1880s, with a population of 300, Smyrna had a hotel on this site, plus saw and flour mills, a foundry, three blacksmiths shops, two churches and a wagon shop.
 

Registered Site L1063
Erected 1983

Location: 4972 Whites Bridge Road
Smyrna, Ionia County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.0591368 W85.2633047
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.