Michigan's First Jewish Cemetery


Michigan's First Jewish Cemetery photo of Michigan
At this site the first Jewish cemetery in Michigan was established in 1848-49. The Jews Society of Ann Arbor acquired burial rights to this land adjacent to what was then the public cemetery. Several years earlier, immigrants from Germany and Austria had organized the first Jewish community in the state. Their first religious services were held in the homes of the five Weil brothers in the vicinity of the family tannery, J. Weil and Brothers. Members of the Jewish community participated in all aspects of the city's life. Jacob Weil served Ann Arbor as alderman from 1859 to 1861. By the 1880's this original Jewish community no longer existed. In 1900 the remains of those buried here were reintered in Ann Arbor's Forest Hill Cemetery.
 

One of three markers mounted on the ground.


Registered Site L1039
Erected 1983

Location: About 120 Fletcher Across from the Power Center
Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County

Topics
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.280958 W83.737161
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.