St. Bernard Catholic Church


St. Bernard Catholic Church photo of St. Bernard Catholic Church
In 1861, Bishop Frederic Baraga (1797-1868) trod through snow and icy waters from Sault Ste. Marie to Alpena where he founded a Catholic church. However, it was not until 1888 that Father Patrick Murray became the first resident pastor of the church dedicated to and named for St. Bernard. Father Murray was instrumental in the building of the first church structure, which was located almost directly opposite the current edifice. The foundation of this stone structure was laid in 1880. Three years later the church split into three parishes. The French parish, which kept the original structure became St. Anne; the Polish became St. Mary; and the Irish retained the St. Bernard name and records. This structure, completed by the Irish in 1884, houses the oldest Catholic parish between Bay City and Cheboygan.
 

Registered Site L0990
Erected 1983

Location: 5th and Chisolm St.
Alpena, Alpena County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.06514 W83.43679
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.