Helmer House Inn


Helmer House Inn photo of Helmer House Inn
Erected in 1881/82 this two-and-a-half-story structure was built as a mission house and manse by Newberry's Presbyterian church. It served as a mission station until 1888, when Gaylord Helmer, --first postmaster and village deputy sheriff-- purchased it for use as a general store and hotel. In 1894 the village of Helmer became a stagecoach mail stop and Gaylord Helmer added a second structure to accomodate more travelers.
 
 
Side 2
Charles and Jeanie Fyvie purchased the Helmer House Inn and store in 1904. The store housed the post office until 1920, when rural free delivery (RFD) was initiated. The Fyvie family continued to live here and operate the store and hotel until 1950. Following nearly three decades of disrepair and neglect, in 1981 the building received new windows, doors, porch, roof and stone facing and was reopened as a hotel to commemorate its centennial.

Registered Site L0981
Erected 1982

Location: County Rd 417
Helmer, Luce County

Topics
Hotels and Inns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.2710968 W85.7192802
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.