Holy Ascension Orthodox Church


Holy Ascension Orthodox Church photo of Holy Ascension Orthodox Church
In 1904 the Albion Malleable Iron Company began recruiting workers for its foundry. The arrival of six Russians from New York City marked the beginning of Albion's "Foreign Colony." By 1915 the Foreign Colony had grown to around 600 people of several East European nationalities, most of whom were Orthodox Christians. Initially, a visiting priest from Detroit conducted Albion's Orthodox services, but by 1915 permission to build an Orthodox church had been granted. A fund drive within the city raised $5,000. The cornerstone was laid on April 30, 1916, and the church was consecrated on Thanksgiving Day of that year. Holy Ascension Church was the only non-Greek Orthodox parish in south-central Michigan until the late 1950s.
 

Registered Site L0966
Erected 1982

Location: 810 Austin Avenue
Albion, Calhoun County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.254197 W84.76507
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.