Trinity Lutheran Church


Trinity Lutheran Church photo of Trinity Lutheran Church
Trinity Lutheran Church, one of the oldest of this denomination in Detroit, was founded in 1850. The Reverend Gottlieb Schaller conducted the early worship services, which were held in the former Mariners Church on Larned Street. In 1866 the congregation built a brick church on this site. After over sixty years of service, it was razed in 1929. The present Neo-Gothic style church, designed by W. E. N. Hunter was a gift of Charles Gauss. It was dedicated in 1931. Trinity Lutheran helped to establish many daughter congregations in Detroit. The church also established the Lutheran Institute for the Deaf, the Lutheran cemetery, and together with other congregations, the Detroit Lutheran High School, Valparaiso University of Indiana and the Lutheran radio hour.
 

Registered Site L0925
Erected 1982

Location: 1345 Gratiot Ave
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.343007 W83.039397
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.