McCabe-Marlowe House


McCabe-Marlowe House photo of McCabe-Marlowe House
Built between 1865 and 1870 by James and Hannah Gallup, this Victorian style villa is one of the oldest homes in the Heritage Hill Historic District. Gallup and his family lived here until 1896. The house was later owned by several prominent Grand Rapids residents, including the James Wylie family (major contributors to the Grand Rapids Foundation), the Ennis P. Whitney family, and the Alexander M. Campbell family. In 1945 the house was purchased by Marie McCabe and her niece Wilma McCabe Marlowe. Both women taught science at Grand Rapids Junior College until the 1950s. They opened their home as a social and cultural gathering place for students. The Grand Rapids Junior College Foundation acquired the property in 1980 so that the house could continue to used in the tradition begun by Marie McCabe and Wilma Marlowe.
 

Registered Site L0915
Erected 1986

Location: 74 Lafayette NE
Grand Rapids, Kent County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.964781 W85.661813
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.