Ludington Hotel


Ludington Hotel photo of Ludington Hotel
In 1864, E. Gaynor built the Gaynor House hotel, which he renamed the Ludington House in 1871 after lumberman Nelson Ludington. In the late 1800s proprietor John Christie enlarged the hotel and renamed the establishment the New Ludington Hotel. An advertisement in the 1893 Michigan Gazetteer and Business Directory read, "New Ludington Hotel - The Largest and Only hotel in the city having Baths, Steam Heat and Electric Call Bells - $2.00 per day." The hotel exemplifies Queen Anne resort architecture, popular in the 1880s and 1890s.
 

Registered Site L0881
Erected 1990

Location: 223 Ludington Street
Escanaba, Delta County

Topics:
Hotels and Inns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.745707 W87.049048
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.