Coal Mine No. 8


Coal Mine No. 8 photo of Coal Mine No. 8
Coal was discovered in the St. Charles area in 1896. On this site in 1917 the Robert Gage Coal Company sunk a shaft 200 feet beneath the surface. The main entry off the shaft was about three miles long. At times, the mine employed as many as four hundred men, who worked in pairs. In 1919 a miner earned sixty to seventy cents per ton. After undercutting and blasting coal from seams 22 to 64 inches thick, miners shoveled it into cars that were pulled by mules and electric motors to the cage, where it was lifted up the shaft to the tipple. It was then sorted, weighed and loaded into railroad cars. The highest grade of bituminous coal in Michigan was mined here until 1931, when the shift to other fuels and competition from higher grade coal in other states made it necessary to close.
 

Registered Site L0869
Erected 1982

Location: 12633 Beaver Rd.
St. Charles, Saginaw County

Topics:
Business & Industry


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.3147181 W84.1653102
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.