First (Park) Congregational Church


First (Park) Congregational Church photo of First (Park) Congregational Church
On September 18, 1836, twenty-two persons, founded one of the first Protestant congregations in Grand Rapids. Initially a Presbyterian parish, the church was reorganized under the Congregational polity in 1839. The congregation occupied a former Roman Catholic chapel from 1842 to 1869. The present brick Gothic structure, completed in 1869 is the second oldest existing church building in the city. Additions were made in 1916 and 1950. The church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. (Original Marker)
 

Registered Site L0850b
Erected 1985

Location: 10 East Park Place NE
Grand Rapds, Kent County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.963367 W85.665993
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.