Village of Warren


Village of Warren photo of Village of Warren
Pioneers, mostly farmers, from New England settled in the Warren area in 1832. Virgin forests supplied logs for the sawmills, which were located on Twelve and Fourteen Mile roads. A strap railroad, one of the first of its kind in Michigan, connected the settlement to Detroit and Utica. By 1875 the community had two churches, a school and several business establishments. It was called Beebe's Corners after John L. Beebe, who operated the toll gate for the plank road that led to Detroit. In 1893 the predominantly German community voted to incorporate as a village, electing Dr. J. D. Flynn as president. Though work and cultural activities draw residents into the Detroit metropolitan community, Warren retains its individual identity in its historic churches, homes and business establishments.
 

Located in the center of the Mound Road median so care should be used.

Registered Site L0833
Erected 1982

Location: Mound Rd at Chicago Rd
Warren, Macomb County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.5280491 W83.0475988
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.