Congregational Church of Litchfield


Congregational Church of Litchfield photo of Congregational Church of Litchfield
Twenty charter members, led by the Reverend Elisha Buck, established this church on July 14, 1839. Founded as a Presbyterian mission, it was reorganized under the congregational polity by the Reverend J.J. Bliss in 1844. At first, worship services were held in a local school, which was also used by the Baptists and Methodists of Litchfield. This red brick, Gothic style structure was the second building erected by the congregation. Completed in 1870, it is the oldest extant church in Litchfield. Its stained glass windows were installed in 1910. In 1888, the Christian Endeavor Society, an ecumenical youth organization, held its first Michigan meeting here.
 

Registered Site L0814
Erected 1984

Location: 203 North Chicago Street.
Litchfield, Hillsdale County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.045165 W84.758437
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.