Putnam Public Library


Putnam Public Library photo of Putnam Public Library
Built in 1884/85, this red-bricked, Italianate structure was the home of Charles W. and Agnes Putnam. Mr. Putnam was a hardware merchant and a banker; Mrs. Putnam taught music and was the first public school teacher in Nashville. Around the turn of the century, the Putnams hosted many elegant social events here. In 1921 they willed their home to Nashville for use as a public library. They established a $10,000 trust fund to begin its operation. The Women's Literary Club launched the library in 1923.
 

Registered Site L0801
Erected 1982

Location: 327 North Main Street
Nashville, Barry County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.605293 W85.093486
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.