Trinity Episcopal Church / Montgomery Schuyler


Trinity Episcopal Church photo of Trinity Episcopal Church / Montgomery Schuyler
Trinity parish was organized in 1836. Early services were held in a log schoolhouse. The Rev. Samuel Buel assumed duties as the first pastor in 1838. This native Marshall sandstone building, with its Victorian interior, was completed in 1864 at a cost of $9,982. The architect was Gordon W. Lloyd of Detroit, and the builder was Nathan Benedict of Marshall. The Marshall Historic Home Tour originated here as a Kitchen Tour sponsored by the Trinity churchwomen.
 
 
Montgomery Schuyler
Trinity's second minister, Montgomery Schuyler (1814 - 1896), was born in New York City. He came to Marshall in 1835, entered a hardware business, began a Sunday school, and helped found Trinity. He was ordained and made pastor of Trinity Episcopal Church in1841. In 1842 he founded St. Thomas's Church, Battle Creek. He founded St John's parish in Buffalo, New York, in 1845 and was rector and dean of Christ Church in St. Louis, Missouri, from 1854 to 1896. He is buried in Marshall's Oakridge Cemetery.

Registered Site L0786
Erected 1980

Location: 101 East Mansion Street
Marshall, Calhoun County

Topics:
Episcopal Churches
Prominent People


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.273012 W84.958625
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.