Life Saving Station


Life Saving Station photo of Life Saving Station
Here stood the Two-Hearted River Life Saving Station, built in 1876. This station, like many others on the Great Lakes, was of the second class -- erected at a cost of $4,790 and manned by volunteer crews. The facility, a simple two-story building with a small lookout tower, housed a lifeboat and other necessary equipment for recovering endangered sailors. An average crew consisted of six to eight experienced surfmen. In 1915 the Life Saving Service was integrated into the U.S. Coast Guard.
 
 
Side 2
Several shipwrecks occurred near the mouth of the Two-Hearted River, also referred to as the Twin River and the Big Two Hearted River. Among these were the Cleveland (1864), the W. W. Arnold (1869), and the Sumatra (1875). After construction of the life saving station here in 1876, the lifesavers were responsible for brave rescues in the Satellite (1879) and the Phineas S. Marsh (1896) disasters. The station was decommissioned in the 1930s and the structure was razed in 1944.

Registered Site L0758
Erected 1980

Location: Two-Hearted River at Lake Superior
Lake Superior, Luce County

Topics:
Lighthouses


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.69944 W85.42230
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.