G. A. R. Hall


G. A. R. Hall photo of G. A. R. Hall
The Samuel W. Grinnell Post No. 283 was granted its charter by the Grand Army of the Republic (G. A. R.) on October 6, 1884. The post operated until 1934, at which time it was disbanded. Members built this hall in 1898-99. Dedicated in October 1899, it contains flags, medals, photographs and other momentos of the Civil War and of the Sunfield veterans of that war. Furniture, ritual equipment and records of this G. A. R. post are also kept here. In 1899 members planted and dedicated three maple trees at the front of the property, dedicating them to the memory of Generals Grant, Sheridan and Sherman. The two cannon on either side of the hall were brought to Sunfield by the G. A. R. in 1900.
 
 
Side 2
The G. A. R. was founded in 1866 as a veterans association to assist Union veterans and their widows and orphans. The G. A. R. and several of its allied orders have used this hall since its completion in 1899; Samuel W. Grinnell Post No. 283, G. A. R. (1899 to 1934); Woman's Relief Corps No. 62 (1899 to 1925); Samuel W. Grinnell Camp No. 17, Sons of Union Veterans, U. S. A., (1918 to 1925); Helen Edwins Tent No. 30, Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War (beginning in 1926); and Curtenius Guard Camp No. 17, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (beginning in 1983). In 1987 the hall was owned by the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War. This markers was dedicated on Memorial Day (30 May) during the Michigan Sesquicentennial.

Registered Site L0735
Erected 1987

Location: 115 Main St.
Sunfield, Eaton County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.762158 W84.994969
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.