Butler-Boyce House / W. D. Boyce


Butler-Boyce House photo of Butler-Boyce House / W. D. Boyce
This handsome Italian Villa, with paired arched windows, is adorned with combined cupola and railing. Edward Butler (1814-1881) merchant, banker and first treasurer of Calhoun County, built the residence in 1858 - 1861 on land once owned by authors James Fenimore Cooper. William D. Boyce (1860-1929), founder of the Boy Scouts of America, purchased the house and sixty acres as a summer home in 1894. For many years it was the home of Myron B. and Anne Ells. Mrs. Ells founded the Marshall Historical Society in 1961.
 
 
W. D. Boyce
William D. Boyce, a Chicago publisher, founded the Boy Scouts of America. Boyce first became acquainted with the scouting movement while in London in 1909. He lost his way in the midst of a heavy fog, and was rescued by a Boy Scout who took him to the address he was seeking. Offering the young boy a tip, he was told that Boy Scouts do not accept money for doing a good deed. Impressed by this organization, Boyce returned home with pamphlets, badges and a uniform. He incorporated Boy Scouts of America, now Scouting/USA, on February 8, 1910.

Registered Site L0690
Erected 1979

Location: 1110 Verona Road
Marshall, Calhoun County

Topics:
Historic Homes
Prominent People


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2761021 W84.9801492
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.