Sage Public Library


Sage Public Library photo of Sage Public Library
Henry W. Sage (1814-1897) founded the village of Wenona (later West Bay City) in 1863. A merchant and philanthropist, he was also a founder of the Sage, McGraw & Company sawmill. In 1881 he donated property, building funds and $10,000 for books to West Bay City for its first public library. The structure was built in 1882-1883 at a cost of nearly $50,000. Charles Babcock of Cornell University designed the French Chateauesque-style building, and the local architectural firm of Pratt & Koeppe superintended the construction. The library was dedicated on January 16, 1884, in a ceremony presided over by Cornell's Moses Coit Tyler. Michigan Supreme Court judges, congressmen and state officials attended. Offering continuous public library service since 1884, the library was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
 

Registered Site L0639
Erected 1984

Location: 100 East Midland Street
Bay City, Bay County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.6017874 W83.9046263
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.