Terney House


Terney House photo of Terney House
William J. Terney, lumber baron and Civil War veteran, moved to the Roscommon area in 1887 and erected this house in the late 1880s. Shortly afterwards, he began extensive lumbering here and was instrumental in bringing the railroad through the village. Near the turn of the century, Terney was appointed county treasurer. He was elected village president in 1904, and in later years served as an officer for the Michigan State Fair. Terney engaged in a real estate business until his death in 1926. Local banker William B. Orcutt purchased this large Queen Anne residence from Terney in 1910. Its interior features white oak parquet flooring and ornate paneling, linking it to the once booming lumbering epoch of Roscommon.
 

Photo courtesty of Kristi Francek


Registered Site L0631
Erected 1978

Location: 603 Lake St.
Roscommon, Roscommon County

Topics
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.497897 W84.593166
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.