First Unitarian Universalist Church


First Unitarian Universalist Church photo of First Unitarian Universalist Church
Perry W. McAdow and his wife Clara built this elaborate mansion in 1891. The McAdows, who earned their fortune in the gold mines of Montana lived here from 1891 to 1897. The house continued as a private residence until 1913, when it was sold to the Univeralist congregation. It was used as a temporary church until 1916, when the congregation completed a new church in the former garden to the north. This structure then became the parish house. In 1934 the Univeralist and Unitarian congregations merged acquiring the name, First Unitarian Universalist Church of Detroit. The group uses this structure as a place of meetings and worship for religious liberals. The house, with its notable frescos, paneling, plasterwork and stained glass was listed on The National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
 

Registered Site L0497
Erected 1986

Location: 4605 Cass Avenue
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3531546 W83.0652585
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.