Omega Psi Phi


Omega Psi Phi photo of Omega Psi Phi
This Victorian structure built in the early 1890s houses the Detroit chapter of the first national Greek letter fraternity established at a Negro University. Omega Psi Phi was founded in 1911 at Howard University in Washington D.C. The Greek letters symbolize the motto "Friendship is essential to the soul." DeWitt T. Burton, Francis Dent and O.T. Davis formed Nu Omega the local chapter in 1923. Fifteen years later Nu Sigma, the undergraduate chapter, began at Wayne State University. Purchased in 1942 by Nu Omega, this house fulfilled the fraternity's initial purpose by creating an association of college men with similar ideals of manhood, scholarship, perseverance and uplift. Many members of this chapter achieved local or national prominence.
 

Registered Site L0485
Erected 1978

Location: 235 East Ferry
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Black History
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3616516 W83.0662536
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.