DeLano Homestead


DeLano Homestead photo of DeLano Homestead
William Smith DeLano (1819 - 1901) was a southwestern Michigan pioneer settler. He built this modest Greek Revival style house in 1858. A native of western New York State, DeLano came to this area with his uncle in 1837. He first worked clearing farms for neighbors. In 1843, at the age of twenty-three, he purchased forty acres and began the family farmstead. By 1854 DeLano owned over one hundred acres; by 1880 he had 235 acres. Over the years, DeLano's sons continued to purchase neighboring lands. The family eventually acquired over six hundred acres. Members of the family lived on the farm until 1963. For several years afterwards, the house was neglected. In 1968 the Kalamazoo Nature Center acquired the structure and most of the original DeLano farm. The farmhouse was restored and opened to the public in 1973.
 

Registered Site L0432
Erected 1981

Location: 555 West E Avenue
Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County

Topics
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3618418 W85.5970573
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.