Ironwood City Hall


Ironwood City Hall photo of Ironwood City Hall
This building served as city hall for Ironwood, which was settled in 1885 as the commercial center of the Gogebic iron mining district. Ironwood incorporated as a city in 1889 and erected the building one year later. Designed by George Mennie, this structure of Lake Superior sandstone and brick initially contained a jail, fire station, library and city offices. Then fire and police departments occupied the building exclusively. Firemen have hung their hoses to dry from the 85 foot tower.
 

City Hall torn down and the marker removed to the railroad museum.

Registered Site L0399
Erected 1977

Location: McLeod and Norfolk St.
Ironwood, Gogebic County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.4543275 W90.1732063
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.