Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church


Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church photo of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1839 a group of black Detroit citizens formed the Colored Methodist Society, which became the core of the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. The group held meetings in a hall which was donated by the Detroit Common Council. The Society moved several times, before a church was built on Lafayette in the 1840s. In 1841 the church assumed its present name and organization. From its inception, the church has served in a number of ways; it has provided a school for black children, an agency to assist southern migrants, and a bureau for labor and housing. Today the church remains a focal point for community social services.
 

Registered Site L0388
Erected 1977

Location: 5050 St. Antoine
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Black History
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.360128 W83.057079
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.