Second Baptist Church


Second Baptist Church photo of Second Baptist Church
Founded in 1836 by thirteen former slaves, this is the oldest black congregation in Michigan. From it beginnings the church has occupied a prominent place in Detroit's black community. In 1839 it established the city's first school for black children, and its first pastor, the Reverend William C. Monroe, was a noted anti-slavery activist. In 1843 he presided over the first State Convention of Colored Citizens, which met at the Second Baptist Church. Delegates demanded the right to vote and an end to slavery. On January 6, 1863, Detroit's blacks celebrated the Emancipation Proclamation here. Located at this site since 1857, the church has expanded its facilities through the years.
 

Registered Site L0346
Erected 1975

Location: 441 Monroe
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Baptist Churches
Black History


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.334827 W83.042813
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.