Scarab Club


Scarab Club photo of Scarab Club
Founded in 1907, the Scarab Club is one of Michigan's oldest arts organizations. Originally called the Hopkins Club after Detroit marine painter Robert Hopkins, it was renamed in 1913. The scarab, an Egyptian symbol of rebirth, represents the clubs commitment to the perpetual renewal of the arts in Detroit. Lancelot Sukert of Detroit designed the clubhouse, which opened on October 5, 1928. The exterior exhibits a Northern Renaissance Revival influence and features the club logo in Pewabic tile. The interior which houses studios, galleries and classrooms, reflects the Arts and Crafts style. The lounge ceiling beams bear autographs of prominent artists including John Sloan, Diego Rivera, Marcell Duchamp and Norman Rockwell.
 

Registered Site L0332
Erected 1999

Location: 217 Farnsworth, east of DIA
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.359378 W83.062852
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.