Whitefish Point Lighthouse


Whitefish Point Lighthouse photo of Whitefish Point Lighthouse
This light, the oldest on Lake Superior, began operating in 1849, though the present tower was constructed later. Early a stopping place for Indians, voyageuers, and Jesuit missionaries, the point marks the course change for ore boats and other ships navigating this treacherous coastline to and from St. Mary's Canal. Since 1971 the light, fog signal, and radio beacon have been automated and controlled from Sault Ste. Marie.
 

Registered Site L0272
Erected 1974

Location: End of Whitefish Point Rd.
Whitefish Township, Chippewa County

Topics:
Lighthouses


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.77137 W84.95614
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.