First Congregational Church of Charlotte


First Congregational Church of Charlotte photo of First Congregational Church of Charlotte
This handsome brick church was completed in 1881. Seven person organized the congregation in 1851 in nearby Carmel Township. Moving to Charlotte the next year, they held services in the wooden courthouse and in 1856 built the city's first place of worship, "The Basswood Church" on Bostwick Avenue. In 1873 construction of the present church began. Members made contributions to assure its finish. Local businessman Joseph Musgrave donated exterior brick originally purchased for his own home.
 

Registered Site L0187
Erected 1978

Location: 106 South Bostwick at Lawrence
Charlotte, Eaton County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.563788 W84.837302
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.