St. Francis Solanus Indian Mission


St. Francis Solanus Indian Mission photo of St. Francis Solanus Indian Mission
This land was sold by Amawee, an Odawa, to Jean Baptiste Trotochaud and his Ojibwa wife Sophia Anaquet. Later, they donated nearly and acre of land to the Catholic Church. Jean under the guidance of Father Sifferath, built this mission in 1859. In 1860, Bishop Frederic Baraga blessed and dedicated it for use by Natives and settlers. Mass was offered at least four times a year. The mission was restored in 1884 after the arrival of Father Pius Niermann, an Assistant Priest with the Franciscan Fathers. It was abandoned by 1896 and restored again in 1931, 1959 and from 2005 -2008. The church and burial grounds are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 

Registered Site L0133
Erected 2015

Location: 500 West Lake Street
Petosky, Emmet County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.375213795 W84.96729612
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2017 James Brennan. All rights reserved.