Davenport House


Davenport House photo of Davenport House
In 1834 Henry W. Sisson of New York settlement here and built a log tavern, located on Evans Lake where the Chicago Road enters the Irish Hills. The tavern was purchased in 1839 by John Davenport, who owned the property until 1864. During this time the present building was constructed. Known as Lancaster House from 1864 to 1884, the building was later to serve as a general store and a post office. As late as 1900 stagecoaches stopped here regularly.
 

Registered Site L0123
Erected 1971

Location: 1280 US-12
Tipton, Lenawee County

Topics:
Hotels and Inns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.062316 W84.118066
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.