Ladies Literary Club


Ladies Literary Club photo of Ladies Literary Club
In 1870, six women who had been meeting for a year to study history, organized Grand Rapids' first Ladies Literary Association. The group was also instrumental in opening the first public library in the city that same year. In 1882 the association incorporated as the Ladies Literary Club of Grand Rapids. It built this Richardsonian Romanesque style meeting house for $6,000 in 1887. Designed by William G. Robinson, it is one of the earliest Michigan structures built as a women's club.
 

Registered Site L0120
Erected 1983

Location: 61 Sheldon Street SE
Grand Rapids, Kent County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.961621 W85.666733
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.