Rochester Colony


Rochester Colony photo of Rochester Colony
In 1836 a Rochester, New York, association purchased land here and by winter several families were settled in newly built log homes. Methodist circuit riders in 1837 organized a class which became the center of the three-county Mapleton circuit. In 1841 the settlement was renamed Duplain and the colonists began working for better schools and roads. The Duplain Methodist church was built in the mid -1850s as a center for community worship.
 

Registered Site L0083
Erected 1970

Location: Maple Road North of Colony Road
Duplain, Clinton County

Topics:
Early Settlers


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.0467812 W84.4557023
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.