Saranac


Saranac photo of Saranac
In 1836, when Saranac was settled, the upper Grand River Valley was a promising but undeveloped area. The soil was fertile; Lake Creek provided water power; and the river was navigable to Grand Rapids. The town grew slowly until 1857, when the coming of the Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad made Saranac a shipping center. Local products included such items as flour, lumber, hides, felloes, barrels, and staves. As the forest disappeared, manufacturing declined, and agriculture gradually became the dominant industry.
 

Registered Site L0076
Erected 1970

Location: Main St. near Fuller
Saranac, Ionia County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.93135 W85.20345
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.