Old Presque Isle Lighthouse


Old Presque Isle Lighthouse photo of Old Presque Isle Lighthouse
Presque Isle Harbor is one of Lake Huron's safest harbors of refuge. Its name comes from the peninsula which, translating from the French, is "almost an Island." Indians and Frenchmen portaged across the peninsula to avoid several miles of open lake. When vessels came to the harbor in increasing numbers, Congress in 1838 appropriated $5,000 for a lighthouse. Jeremiah Moors of Detroit in 1840 completed this lighthouse, which today is one of the oldest surviving lighthouses on the Great Lakes. Pat Garrity, the last keeper of this lighthouse, was appointed by President Lincoln. Four of Garrity's children, raised in the keeper's house, became lighthouse keepers. In 1870, a new lighthouse to the north was completed along with two range lights for the entrance to the harbor.
 

Registered Site L0039
Erected 1965

Location: 5295 East Grand Lake Rd
Presque Isle, Presque Isle County

Topics:
Lighthouses


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.3481340 W83.4839057
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.