The Morton House


The Morton House photo of The Morton House
This house, built in 1849 by Eleazar Morton and his son Henry, was occupied until 1936 by four generations of Mortons. The oak-framed barn was built in 1840. Members of the Morton family, pioneers in this area, where prominent in Benton Harbor's early development. The porch on the house was often called the "Indian Hotel" because Henry Morton allowed the Potawatomi Indians to sleep here on their way to St. Joseph to sell their baskets. J. Stanley Morton, president of the Graham and Morton Transportation Company, modernized the house and added the pillars in 1912. He left his house to the Benton Harbor Federation of Womens Clubs in appreciation of its civic work.
 

Registered Site L0037
Erected 1964

Location: 501 Territorial Road
Benton Harbor, Berrien County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.118605 W86.446561
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.