Old Indian Cemetery


Old Indian Cemetery photo of Old Indian Cemetery
This cemetery was already established when the first white man came to this area. It is believed to have been used by the Ottawas as early as 1750 and is known to have been a burial ground from 1806 to 1854 for both Indians and settlers. The Daily-Badeau trading post existed from 1830 to 1848 on the shore of Muskegon Lake below the cemetery. Louis B. Badeau purchased lot 2, containing the cemetery, and much of downtown Muskegon, in 1839. This was the starting point for all early surveys in the area. Near here Martin Ryerson set up his first sawmill. He obtained title to the cemetery, and in 1926 his son, Martin A. Ryerson, deeded it to Muskegon with the stipulation that it be maintained in perpetuity.
 

Registered Site L0020
Erected 1964

Location: Morris Avenue Between Ist and 2nd
Muskegon, Muskegon County

Topics:
Cemeteries
Native Americans


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.2374417 W86.2521010
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.