City of Coldwater 1861-1961


City of Coldwater 1861-1961 photo of City of Coldwater 1861-1961
Potawatomi Indians ceded Coldwater Prairie to the United States in 1827. The Indians called it "Chuck-sew-ya-bish," meaning "cold spring water." Coldwater is located at the junction of Old Sauk and Fort Wayne Indian trails. The settlement's first house was built near this site in 1830 by Hugh Campbell. The first school was organized in 1832. Coldwater became a village in 1837, the county seat of Branch County in 1842, and a city on February 28, 1861. The State Home and Training School, dating back to 1871, is here. Coldwater has many fine old houses, legacies of the pioneers who built this city.
 

Registered Site L0019
Erected 1961

Location: City Park along US-12 at Marshall
Coldwater, Branch County

Topics:
Cities and Towns
Native Americans


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.940728706 W85.00036776
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.