Pioneer Cemetery


Pioneer Cemetery photo of Pioneer Cemetery
South Westnedge Street Park is actually Kalamazoo's first cemetery. The pioneer leader, Cyren Burdick, and his wife Mary Ann in 1833 donated this land as a common burial ground. From this time until 1862 hundreds of pioneer settlers were buried here in what was then known as South West Street Cemetery. Later an unknown number of bodies were removed to other cemeteries in the village. In 1884, after years of neglect, Kalamazoo's pioneer cemetery was converted into a park.
 

Registered Site L0010
Erected 1960

Location: South Westnedge at Wheaton
Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County

Topics:
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2813412 W85.5889463
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.