The Log Schoolhouse


The Log Schoolhouse photo of The Log Schoolhouse
Near this spot, facing the Indian Trail, the village's first public school was erected in 1834. Built of logs, its floor, desks and benches were constructed of lumber floated down the river from Bellevue's sawmill. Warren B. Shepard, the first teacher, had a dozen pupils. The pioneers paid eighty dollars for their schoolhouse, using it also for religious services, debates and other meetings. Sometime friendly Potawatomi Indians dropped in to watch the strange doings.
 

Registered Site L0007
Erected 1959

Location: East State and Monroe
Battle Creek, Calhoun County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.321111 W85.179722
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.